Tuesday, October 21, 2008

the fish

D and L both won fish at a fall festival a couple of weekends ago. At first the kids put them in fish bowls but the fish looked so sad and way too placid. The fish needed some bubbly water, I was sure. I also warned the boys that these "festival" fish may not live long... especially after a small child (who will remain nameless) RAN through a field with a bagged fish. ugh.

Both boys decided to use their birthday money to buy one-gallon aquariums for their rooms. A very nice investment of birthday money, I must say. (only $10 at Walmart!)

The fish instantly came alive and enjoyed their new surroundings. Happy happy.

D and L have been very diligent at feeding the fish twice daily... one or two flakes at each feeding.

We had a late night tonight and when I was putting L to bed, I asked if he had fed the fish this evening. Upon looking in the aquarium...

The fish is dead.

uh-oh.

I know that L would be devastated... so I broke the news pretty much the same way I broke the news of thayer's death.... there's just no easy way to do it!!

And, yes, L cried and cried. First about the fish. And then about Thayer.
I cried about Lucas' sadness and then about Thayer. We were quite a sight.
L mentioned that TWO family members have died.... and he said that this is the 2nd worse night ever.
I reminded him that this night was WAY better than the night Thayer died. I reminded him that that night was the worst night of our lives. He agreed.

L was crying that he hoped the fish was being taken care of in heaven. Then I mentioned that perhaps Thayer had just gotten a new fish in heaven... it could have been Lucas' fish. (I know... a little lofty... )

It was just a sad ending to our really nice night.

We flushed the fish, said a little prayer for the fish (I know, I know) and we said a little prayer for Lucas.
I laid with him until he cried himself to sleep, again.

On a bright note, L stopped crying long enough to ask if he could have a new fish... maybe a blue one or a black one next time.
Sure... we can easily replace the fish.
Let's hope he doesn't start requesting a new Daddy anytime soon.
:-)

2 comments:

Cherie said...

oh jill,

i <3 you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jill, You have such a knack for sharing your soul to us through these touching stories...
xoxox
Rebecca