Wednesday, September 24, 2008

my book list

I've recently become a reader. Not seriously... but I've torn through some books on grief and my stack of "to read" is getting larger.

I started reading Into the Deep last night. Wow. This guy lost his entire family in a flash flood. It is tremendously heartbreaking to read.
I know that my situation isn't nearly as devastating as this man's experience but I have found myself underlining sentences in the book.... I can relate to many of his feelings. And I also relate to the comfort that he received from God. It is truly a God thing that we humans can survive such loss. This is a good book!!!

I also bought two books today that are next on my list.
-A Grief Observed (by C.S. Lewis)
and
-A Travel Guide to Heaven (by Anthony Destefano) This one looks like fun.

When I am ready to move away from grief type books I have purchased My Single Mom Life (by Angela Thomas). I'm hoping it will be an encouragement to me as I move forward.

Enough about the books... It's just super weird that I've got a stack of them to read...
let me know if you'd like to read along with me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok...so I guess I can make a comment even though Im not really a "blogger"....thats pretty cool! I really enjoy reading yours and Jamie's blogs, lets me keep up with you guys even though Im not there. You are an amazing Mom, I love to hear stories of your parenting issues and successes, as well as life in general!
I will be seeing you in about a week!
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Read your blog for the first time. I feel afresh the pain of those first moments, those second moments, infinitely. While it hurts, it's nice to look back at what you've written and know your love for your husband will never go away.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

You have such a bold and honest approach to life that I have always admired. I am enjoying keeping up with your blog and learning new ways to pray for your family. As a mom and teacher, I am constantly amazed at the creativity God gives me at the moment of my breaking points (such as your lamp removal post). If only I could remember to credit HIM with my solutions and not just fuss about them! Your books sound interesting and hopefully will encourage you. I thought The Shack was a creative approach to God, even if I had a hard time picturing some of it! If you want some interesting Christian fiction to take you away to other worlds, try some books by Angela Hunt. It's not just fluffy writing but it's some great works of fiction. http://www.angelaelwellhunt.com/