Sunday, November 23, 2008

repetition

The boys had another great day.
We enjoyed Thad's church this morning, the kids napped this afternoon, we went to a train museum, and then headed to spend an evening with Thad and Jenn's friends. Great times.

The most rewarding part of the day was tonight at bedtime.
For several weeks, I have been trying to get a good routine going before our prayer time. I have asked the boys each night to name one good thing that happened that day, one bad thing that happened that day, and one thing that they are thankful for.
When I initially started this round of questioning, they would totally ignore the questions, make goofy noises, or state really dumb answers. But as time has progressed, they have become accustomed to this new practice.
Last night they had pretty good answers for each category.
And tonight.... D reminded me to ask!!!! They both wanted to share the good, bad, and thankful thing for the day. That is HUGE!!
I am so thankful that the repetition is starting to form into a good habit!! yay!!
I am praying that our evening routines will continue to improve and that the boys and I can share sweet moments together.

Please continue to pray that I can love them well....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill -

I am so glad that you, D and L are enjoying your time away with Thayer's family!!! I like your new bedtime routine. Just a thought... on the nights they don't want to talk... maybe they could draw the answers in a journal?? This would be a great keepsake one day too. You do love your children very well!! You are a positive example to so many! I hope you have another great day!!

Love ya - SMc

Skamamama said...

i LOVE the way you love your boys...it's beautiful. i will still pray for that as you asked though. i am learning so much from you and also like your bedtime routine. ours is similar 'most' nights. we say "God, thank you for...", "forgive me for...", & "tonight we pray for...". or something along those lines. ben still rarely has anything to say. we'll get there. we'll keep trying just as you have and maybe they'll ask for it too.
i miss you. even though we don't see each other all that often...knowing you are not down the road makes me miss you more! i hope you continue to have a fabulous time and enjoy making memories with all! love, regina

Adrienne said...

Oh, Jill! That made me cry! I'm so THANKFUL you have your boys & THEY have YOU! You really are an amazing Mama!