Tuesday, November 18, 2008

my rings

This morning I switched my wedding rings to my right hand.
I have been thinking about doing this for weeks. I was afraid that it would be too difficult. Not just emotionally... (but I seriously think that they'll get stuck on my right hand and be too difficult to remove.)
But I went ahead and did it.
My left ring finger looks skinny and white where the rings have been for over 10 years (if you include our engagement).
I had a brief moment of despair as I felt my empty finger. But then I was glad that I have come to this particular point of acceptance.
I really am single. And I realize that's okay. This is a big step for me... to flaunt my "condition."

I initially didn't want to remove my rings because I didn't want to look like one of those "single moms". I wanted to feel like I was still connected and protected.
I have quickly learned, over these months, that I don't have any right to judge moms who lack wedding rings. They could very well be in my own situation.

My plan for the new year is to have a jeweler design a new ring that will be made from my rings and Thayer's wedding band. I will plan to wear the new ring on my right hand in memory of Thayer and the time that we shared.

Brilliant side note :
My friend at work immediately thought I was shedding the rings in order to pick-up men at the airport tomorrow.
I hadn't thought about that till now....
haha

4 comments:

said...

you are such a great blogger! i will be eager to see what you (or the jewler) does with your rings. i've always loved Thayers rings ... how he saudered the true love waits ring with the wedding ring. i always wanted to do that, but didn't want to be a copycat to Thayer. what a great testimony he had for you and treasure you have now.

Anonymous said...

Jill, you are such a strong, amazing, inspirational woman! I hope that you have a really great Thanksgiving!

thornpricker said...

What a great idea with the rings. You are awesome. Have a good trip.

Jamie said...

You are hilarious and who knows, God may have someone else on the flight home prepared just for you. Weird thought, but who's to say? God knows and since you trust Him so fully, he is preparing your heart for something amazing. I just feel it. Have an awesome trip and see you when you get home.