I realized this morning at church that the holidays are going to be way harder than I expected.
The Advent candle was lit and we sang Christmas songs.
My mind instantly flooded with the Christmas traditions that Thayer and I had started with the kids. I was reminded of all of the activities that Thayer initiated for our family during the month of December.
I'm sensing a big hole this year.
This evening, we returned to Thad's church for some family Advent activities. I was weary about going at first because I knew that it would be weird doing "family" activities when our family isn't complete. I decided that it's just the first of many Christmas activities that I'll need to do... for the kids and for myself.
It turned out being a great time of fellowship and both boys got to make a Nativity. We worked together as a family and I was glad that we went.
What I wouldn't give to have Thayer here for the fun this year. But I know that I've got to keep on living and enjoying this season with my boys.
Wishing that our family were complete, I find myself extremely agitated with folks that don't appreciate the families that they have! I am so disheartened when husbands or wives place their priorities on the wrong things. For goodness sakes, if you have a spouse and kids... everything should be put aside in order to celebrate this Christmas season with your family! Nothing is too important for you to miss precious time with your loved ones.
I have learned first hand how a "family" can be snatched out from under you in a moment. So please take my word for it and...put your priorities in order people!
Just a friendly rant from your neighborhood widow.
Happy Holidays.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Ah, Jill,
I'm truly sorry about the feelings that sneak up on you in the month of Christ's birth. You are right, this is a month to celebrate with family. This month has always been a mix of emotions for me. But I will blog about that later. But you are right, this month is a time for family, and we should concentrate only on family.
We are coming in to Lburg on the
11th, I would love to meet up with you! Maybe get some coffee or meet up at Kids Cove? Or both?! :)
Just think! Thayer will be eating cake and icecream with Jesus himself!!! How amazing is that feeling?! Wow! Think of the party up there, my Dad, your Thayer, and Nay and Bethany's Grandpa! I would LOVE a picture!
Take care and Squeezes to you and the boys!
Jill. . .
How come every time I read your blog I laugh and cry??
Seriously. . ."Just a friendly rant from your neighborhood widow."
You have been given quite the gift of writing these days. I am grateful that you have the courage to share your heart with us.
I think of you every day and continue to miss Thayer.
We will be in town in a few weeks. I would love to see you!
Jill -
THANK YOU for the remninders about FAMILY! Today is C's #2 birthday and Daddy and myself took off from work to celebrate with him. We are going to go do a FAMILY picture today. We have been meaning to do one for 2 years now. THANKS for your inspiration and reminders to value each day and each other.
I said a special prayer for you as we move into the holiday season. I hope that you have a peaceful day.
Love ya- SMc
Jill,
I have missed you, my friend. Can't wait to have you back on Thursday. Keep on blogging. Remember "The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love" He will walk with you through this Christmas season.
With love
Elaine
Post a Comment