I came in contact with a lady tonight who refuses to buy anything that is Made in China.
She was at Target looking for shoes for a wedding, a little box, and a little pillow for the ring bearer. She noted that all of those items were made in China and that she’d have to look elsewhere.
(Target has cute wedding items in the DOLLAR spot right now… who could pass that up!?!)
She had made the decision to boycott China made items sometime back in the 70s. I asked her if she ever has any luck with it. She says that she does a lot of thrift store shopping (which I wondered how she knows where that stuff is made) and she also shops at some store that sells things made in other countries with good labor practices. (??)
Hmmm.
What a difficult thing to stick with. And for what? I personally don’t see how that type of conviction could save the world. It just sounds a bit anal to me.
(This encounter was also a gentle reminder of the type of people that live in this area.)
I have never even looked to see where things were made-- so I continued working tonight and checking the products that I dealt with.
99% of all the products were made in China. A few others were made in Pakistan and India (nice sheets and bedding).
I guess I’ve never paid attention to that before.
Is it a good thing or a bad thing? I’d like to think that we, as snotty, rich Americans, are employing half of the rest of the world.
How do the poor folks in China feel about making fancy things for us Americans?? Something to think about… but I certainly wouldn’t change my purchasing habits.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
amen that's too much work...although I have a funny relating to this :
One day while my parents were shopping with my brother (age 5 I think) he was asking where stuff is made. My step-father getting tired of him asking about every little thing he found just blanketed the question with "everything is made in China". So because my brother LOVED to ask questions (and that is an understatement) he replies so innocently, "Well, if everything is made in China, was I made in China?" LOL.
Post a Comment