Sunday, December 30, 2012

another year

Christmas came and went without too much fanfare.   Lucas got a camera, Daniel got a camcorder.  They also received gift cards and other nifty things from relatives.    We tend to keep it simple around here.   My boys tend to be very content with what they have.  Prior to Christmas, they couldn't even think of anything to ask for this year.   (I suppose that could also mean that I spoil them with too much stuff throughout the year.  I dunno.) 

We postponed our usual after-Christmas trip to South Carolina.   We'll be going down later this spring.    This is the first time we've been home for so long during a Christmas vacation.  It has been marvelous.   I have been super excited about sleeping late.   I can't even recall what we have done for the past week... but it's been grrrreat!

I can't believe that another year is behind us.    This was our fifth Christmas without Thayer.
 I managed to fill the stockings on Christmas Eve without tears.     
There is always that empty feeling during family gatherings... but it was a little less achy this year.

Looking back on this year.... I realized that I have only blogged 48 times.  That is a far cry from previous years.   I suppose that it's a good thing.  I haven't had too much on my mind that was dying to get out in print.  

It also saddens me because I feel like I've lost some of my motivation for writing... and thinking. 
I owe most of my lost motivation to the fact that my relationship with Jesus has been pushed to the side this year.   I haven't been on close speaking terms with Him.   I really want to rekindle my relationship with Him this coming year.   I want to reinvest my time to be taught, and inspired, daily.

I have learned several things this year:

I have learned to be content.
I have learned to choose my battles with the boys.
I have learned that each day is a new day.  Thank God!
I have learned that acquaintances come and go... but good friends keep showing up, even in the mundane.

My goals for the coming year:   1. Eat out less.   2. have empty squares on my calendar.

No comments: