Monday, July 20, 2009

the proud parent

A trip to Funquest reminded me what it's like to be a proud parent.

The last time L donned a pair of skates, the clumsy slipping lasted for one trip around the rink and then he gave up.

Tonight, D suggested that L try out rollerblades because D had learned to use them quickly after learning to skate.

To my surprise, L put on the rollerblades and rolled!! I've heard from the kids that the rollerblades were easier to skate with.... but WOW... he was skating instantly. And not simply skating. This kid was bending to touch his toes, hopping, and dancing around the rink! He beamed when he realized that he could do it. And I beamed over the fact that he has learned another one of those "life skills" (like riding a bike). Finally another "big kid" activity that we can do as a family.
I am loving it.

I am always amazed at the boys' fearlessness. They just DO things. (Often not thinking about the consequences, good or bad.) But it also seems like they don't consider the chance of failure. Do kids assume that they will succeed? And if so... when do we loose that optimism?
I would like to think that I am moving ahead with confidence... but I find myself second guessing alot of things. What if I make the wrong decision? What if I fail? What if I'm rejected?
ahhh.... to be a kid again...
I'd love to be able to roll.... and dance again without being afraid of failure.
Isn't that what God would like to see me do?!

3 comments:

Hema said...

Sounds like so much fun! I can't remember the last time I went skating - but I'm pretty sure it was back during the days when Skateland was still around :-) Now I feel old!

Adrienne said...

I have to say, that when I was growing up, it was all about the consiquences. But with my boys, it's all Go Go Go!!! Don't sit and think about it, just DO it! I'm actually wondering if that is a difference between boys and girls, but, alas, I have no girls so I have NO idea! :)

Jill said...

Hema... funquest IS skateland... same place.. just improved.