Thursday, July 16, 2009

11 months

The boys enjoyed swimming lessons, we all had a visit with the dentist today, I went to a scrapbooking event tonight and I just enjoyed a really late night chat with my sister.
I've had a great day.
We've been so busy, I haven't really had time to think about this day... until now.

I happened to replace my bathroom handsoap today.... with my favorite smell from Bath and Body Works, Midnight Pomegranate.
I've used this fragrance of soap for well over a year... but every once in a while, I'll wash my hands and have an accute flashback to those days following Thayer's death. In those first few days, I was only alone if I was in the bathroom. I would often retreat to the bathroom if I needed a moment away from the crowd. I can remember sitting on the toilet and staring at a certain corner in the room... wondering if it was all just a bad dream. I can remember focusing on that particular corner and thinking "this can't be happening... This IS happening."

The soap will still whisper a reminder of those moments. I would wake early, get myself ready for the day and wander around the yard or the house. I remember one morning when I went and sat with my neighbor on her porch, just to grasp at a bit of normalcy.
I can remember getting dressed and ready for a trip to the funeral home, for Thayer's service and for my friend's fiance's funeral.
(wow. How'd I manage two funerals in one week?! God sure held me together, no doubt.)

Gee, I know that we've discussed the importance of smells in the past... but who would think that an everyday handsoap could "take me back" with just a whiff?
interesting stuff.
It's still my favorite soap.

4 comments:

Cherie said...

I love that scent too and it amazes me what a scent can do to our mind!

I have crazy vivid flashbacks/memories from a certain shampoo that I used while I was on bedrest in the hospital. There have been several times that I have cried. . .

Amazing.

thornpricker said...

It is amazing how our noses can evoke such powerful emotions in our mind. Enjoy that sent for now for soon approaching will be pumpkin spice!!

pelletierphotography said...

So true- scent is the strongest sense tied to memory. In acting school when we had to dig up emotions for a tough scene we were told to "smell" a specific scent from a difficult time in our lives.
I used to think of my Babci's Ginatay...waterworks every time!

Sarah said...

not that my situation compares at all to losing a husband, but it is weird how the little things can take you back. Every time I hear a helicopter it takes me back to the night of the fire, it is weird how everything comes rushing back as soon as you encounter a trigger like a sound, a smell, or a taste.