Thursday, June 14, 2007

better day

Today was MUCH better for the kids and I.
We went with our lovely friends to the Children's Museum of Richmond. The kids really enjoyed scurrying around. We stayed for several hours and ate lunch together on the premises. My kids said that they liked "all of it". They want to go back again but I think we've had our full.
Afterwards, we hung out at R's house and all of the kids played in the backyard.
good times.
It's so nice to visit with old friends. Thanks for a good day, R! :0)

My smart sis also reminded me via email today that I need to continue structure with my kids throughout the summer. They will do much better with a predictable routine, etc.
I usually do well with an activity each day, a quiet time in the afternoon and free time afterward.
But... she gave me a great idea about putting activities in a hat and picking them out on Sundays. And then the kids can know what to expect over the next few days.
some ideas she gave were: library day, picnic with Dad, cooking activity, bike ride, special project, playdates.
Like most of you... we already do these things but it will be especially nice if the kids have a part in planning the week. I'm usually the bossy mom who wakes up and says... "today we are going to the library...no matter what!"
So... this hat (bowl, box, jar,etc) idea will let the kids feel apart of their own plans. That'll be fun.
thanks for the idea sis ;-)
I'll start on sunday!
if anybody else has fun ideas for the summer... let me know!

1 comment:

Shipley Mommy said...

Thank you, and please thank your sister, for the great idea. I am allowing Gracie to pick an activity every night for family time. It is working super well!!! :)