yep. After Thayer died, I was instructed by countless people that I should not watch the movie P.S. I Love You.
So of course when I ran across it at Blockbuster today, I HAD to rent it.
I knew that it would be a "crying movie" so I was prepared with my box of tissues.
And yes, I just cried for the last 127 minutes. And not just a few tears... I'm talking burning cheeks and loud weeping.
It was a great movie.
I must admit that I was a little jealous of the fact that the main character, Holly, was able to lose herself in her grief for a while. She was able to lock herself up in her apartment, make a huge mess, wear her husband's clothes and sing sad movie songs.
I never had that luxury to completely shut off.
(well... those of you who see me on a daily basis would probably say that I was "shut off" for much of last year) :)
But really... after Thayer died, I still had to get up in the mornings and tend to the kids. There wasn't much opportunity to sit around and be pathetic. And in SO many ways, I am thankful for my boys because they give me reason to keep going.
I am super thankful for all of the happy distractions I have had over the past year. There have been days and months where I haven't felt the least bit sad. I've experienced great joy and excitement. I've got great hope for my future!
But there are also times when I get tired of holding it together. And I want to be able to tell myself that it's okay if I cry in random places at random times. I'm not super woman... and it's hard trying to be.
I can relate to Holly when she says, "this wonderful man happens to me and then he died. What was the point? I'm alone, and it doesn't matter what job I have or what I do, or what I don't do, or what friends I have, he's not here. I mean you're alone no matter what".
But, in response, Holly's mother says, "alone or not.. you gotta walk ahead.”
So. yep. That's what I'm gonna do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
we LOVE that movie. you deserve a good cry. it's not like you rented it last year this time . . . tina & jenn were asking about you this weekend and send hellos & hugs! love you!
Wondered when you would watch it. I knew you would be crying when I was crying the whole way through. You don't have to be superwoman and it is still okay to fall apart sometimes. I love ya!
I'm glad that you were able to let it out a bit...
And I'm also glad that you have part of Thayer in those two reasons to get up in the morning...something Holly didn't have...
I often think how lonely life might be without the two little dependents that can drive me crazy at times, and how easy it would be to fall into a depression or whatever without their constant needs...and love.
Post a Comment