I'm grumpy tonight.
Perhaps I'm just tired from my awesome trip to the Andrew Peterson concert. It was lovely and I had a great time with my friend Donna. I love getting away and having road trips... but I find that re-entry to normal life is usually tough.
Immediately upon my return this evening I was greeted with an email from L's teacher...requesting 85 juice boxes for tomorrow's school party. (which is fine...)
But- The last activity that I did before I left town was make dough ornaments for the same class...on short notice.
anywho. I packed up the kids this evening and headed to Walmart.
Easy enough. Grab juice boxes and a few ingredients for a potluck on Saturday and I'd feel accomplished.
Little did I remember- that when there is even a slight whisper of snow in the forecast that the entire metropolitan area must go to the grocery store to stock up on milk, eggs and canned goods. Oh, and while you're there... finish your Christmas shopping too because we might be snowed in for the rest of the week.
uh-huh.
Stood in the check-out line for 35 minutes.
Meanwhile, Daniel mentions that when I sent extra party money to his teacher, her response was, "I thought your mom was going to use this" (as in... I was probably supposed to buy party food)
Sure. Let me know this LAST week and I'd make sure I had things in order before I left town.
I must have missed the memo.
so. here is my conclusion. I am no longer suitable for room mom. Much less 'grade level' mom.
I can remember when I'd be super excited to help out, and go out of my way to organize things.
But as a single mom, this just ain't happening.
If I'm required to run specific errands or organize something, I need a plan... some notice... some warning.
My foul mood could all be related to my growing dislike of the commercialization of Christmas.
Bah-humbug!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
As a teacher, I would never do this!! What a pain to expect any parent to do this on last minute notice. (It's probably also why I have less parties than most classrooms and teach 4th grade! )
I am so sick of the room mom thing too. I was furious the other day too. 4 or 5 people said they would send in cookies or cupcakes. I get to the party and there are 2 big cakes. Hello...how are the kids suppose to eat it????? Did you send forks?? Oh don't worry, I'll run to CVS and get some. AHHHHHHH I didn't really want to go to the sing a long.
I'm room Mom with another Mom in Tyler's class. We asked for $20 from each kid for the 3 parties we are going to do this school year. We only got maybe 10 kids out of 24. We aren't allowed to do sweets in the parties either. They are considered a "Healthy school". *eyeroll* So we ended up with fruit, carrot sticks, veggie meatballs, and cocktail weenies with water to drink for the party. Kids ate almost everything except the carrots, but it wasn't fun to try to find thing "Healthy" for a school party. Not to mention cheap!!! There are too many rules in schools now.
Not to mention the whole 3rd grade Room Mom committee was supposed to get together before Thanksgiving & talk about the details. We were then told the wk before to figure out what to do for our class. Would have been nice if we had a bit more notice!!!
BUT, the kids had fun & that is all that matters!!! :)
Try not to get too bummed out by "Consumer Christmas". You've got to wade through two months of commercialized muck just for the rare opportunities to see the twinkle in the eye of someone receiving something unexpected. Hang in there.
It takes a Real Mom to make the room mom job look easy. Keep it up.
Post a Comment