Friday, November 26, 2010

thanksgiving

I'm thankful for alot.

Wednesday, we had a much needed visit from some marvelous friends.

Yesterday, we slept late. The kids played around the neighborhood and then showed up to assemble the Christmas tree and decorate it. We had discussed skipping a tree this year... but they were in the mood... so I let them have at it.
We had a nice thanksgiving meal at my parent's house, a game of scrabble, followed by a trip to the movies to see Megamind. (Which I REALLY enjoyed!)
We also made an evening trip to Walmart to buy a space heater for our frigorific basement.
Good day, all around.

Today is our first day at home in FOR-EV-ER. My fairytale plan is to hang out around the house all day. Maybe force myself to put out some Christmas decor. Read a little.
But I'm secretly planning a trip to go roller skating if my kids will humor me.

The past few days have been great. But I notice an aching feeling that is hovering just below the surface. The holidays are bitter sweet. I'm enjoying special moments with the kids, but at the same time I take a deep breath as I think about how Thayer is supposed to be here for all of this.

The holiday music is draining. So I have made a "NON Christmas" CD for the car. Avoiding the Christmas music seems to be helping.

I'm currently reading Each Little Bird That Sings by Deborah Wiles. Just in case I didn't have enough stuff to depress me, I chose to read a book written for 8-12 year olds in which death is the main topic. It's about a little girl who lives in a funeral home...
interesting how I'm drawn to these things. Even more interesting how I'm pretty comfortable on a fourth grade reading level. too funny.
I only have a few more chapters to go and I'm hoping that the author will tie it up in a pretty package with a happy ending... but I'm not sure how she'll do it.

Kinda like life. Sometimes we can't see the happy ending, until the end...

ahhh... that was my deep thought for today :)

3 comments:

Gauri said...

Time/Love will heal everything, Sending lots of love yr way :)

BARBG said...

Hey Jill, I just finally stated Each Little Bird that sings...maybe we should do it for a book club.
Hope you got to go skating and are having a wonderful long holiday weekend. The holidays are hard, but we are doing it!

Misplaced Musings said...

Well, for such a humbug, you sure have that tree up early!! hee hee. I wish all of us had our lost loved ones here for the holidays. Love and hugs.