I have a terrible memory. always have. When friends talk about past events, my favorite comment is: "Was I there?"
I seriously don't remember much of anything.
I get really tickled when little things trigger random memories.
Today, I had lunch with Thayer's best friend and his wife. The friend was talking about obtaining a license that would allow him to bring in extra income.
Then it hit me that he and Thayer had been planning this venture before Thayer died. Over two years ago, they had discussed these plans.... and they had even started working on another project together.
And of course, when Thayer died... so did my recollection of what he was planning. All of Thayer's thoughts and comments about their common goal had been lost.
I was very happy to hear that his friend has followed through with the initial plans.
All of that to say... that a simple conversation took me back a few years. I started to remember some of the things that Thayer was planning.
Not that it matters now. But it was nice to have a little flash into the past.
I also had a brief conversation with someone about lasik eye surgery tonight. Memories of Thayer's experience popped back in mind. How quickly I forgot that he had worn glasses when we met. I remember we had a young child (or children) when he decided to have the surgery.
(I'm curious to look back through pictures to see what year he actually had it done.)
He claimed that it was one of the best things he had ever done. He was thrilled with his new vision.
Even if he was only able to enjoy it for a few years....
I pulled out the box of old home videos tonight. I'm gearing myself, and the kids, up to watching them soon.
I was able to watch a small portion of video about 7 months after he died. And I remember watching our wedding video on (what would have been) our 10th anniversary. It was hard, tearful, but refreshing all at the same time.
Not sure what to expect when we get the home videos rolling this week.
I want to see him in action, and hear his voice.... and remember.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment