I would consider myself the opposite of a hoarder. I'm not a fan of knick knacks, and accumulated piles of clutter eventually drive me bonkers. I'd be happy to throw out just about everything in my house that isn't furniture, or used daily.
I have a tendency to grow little piles of junk, here and there, but I go through crazy spurts where I'll just throw it all away without a second glance.
Interesting enough, as I was watching the Hoarders show, it disturbed me to see a recurring theme with the folks involved. Just about everyone started their hoarding behavior shortly after the death of a loved one, divorce, etc.
I kept thinking, "this could be me! I better keep a check on things!"
It's true... that after Thayer died, my housekeeping habits changed dramatically. (I used to be terribly anal about cleaning and keeping things in order. I would clean for days simply to have someone come over to visit.) But after Thayer's death (and probably a few years prior to), I realized that there are way more important things to focus on.
I've chosen to hang out with my kids,go out on the town and have FUN! And I love to have visitors even though I tell them to use the bathroom at their own risk :)
I want to make each day count!
We spent almost 8 hours at the skate park over the past two days.
I completely forgot about cutting my grass (which was the first time I've forgotten) and it doesn't matter at all! The grass can wait!
My 40 minute nap, in my camp chair, at the skateboard park was WAY more important! The kids said that they didn't notice I was sleeping because of my sunglasses. How convenient :o)
okay. that was a random story. and I have NO idea where I'm going with this post.
I'm just hopeful that I won't become a hoarder at home while I'm out sleeping in public.
please let me know if I start showing signs! ;)
And BY ALL MEANS... don't EVER let me become a CrAzY CaT LaDy! Yikes!

2 comments:
Which hoarders show did you watch? There is one where the people hoard things and there is the one on animal planet where they hoard pets. That pet one is grosser than the thing hoarders.
I watch that show when I am feeling less than motivated to clean house---which is more often than not. Some of the shows are just too gross to watch though. It had really struck me too that so many of the hoarders featured were mentally paralyzed by a trauma, most often a death of a loved one. My house keeping went way down hill in that 1st year. I have stuff now that I am still dealing with from that time. On those shows it also disturbs me that folks seem to choose their stuff over people when they are pressured. In a heartbeat, I would give up everything or even bull doze my house if I had to choose between it and my family.
Still I think your house on a bad day is still better than my house on a good day. :)
Post a Comment