Sunday, November 08, 2009

trouble with the obvious

It took a sunset to remind me.

Rewind...
The past two weeks, I have been "going" non-stop. Lots of entertainment, lots of driving around, lots of visiting. ALL good stuff... but probably way too much of it at once.

This weekend was to be my time of relaxation. I took the boys to Comfort Zone Camp and headed to Williamsburg with some gals. It was a great weekend of car alarms and shopping. I am so thankful for the time away! Thanks Regina!!

But unfortunately, I let my brain work on overload this weekend.
When I was dropping the kids off at CZC I was SO excited for them but I had "a moment" where I thought to myself... "this isn't the kind of camp kids should need to go to." Whoever thought we'd be excited about a camp for grieving kids. ugh.

While in Williamsburg, my mind tended to dwell on the insecurities that I have as a single mom... and other insecurities that I have with my current relationships.

Luckily, I got a grip on myself and headed back to pick up the boys from camp. My grip slipped as I sat through a service where 60+ children were encouraged to speak about their deceased loved ones. Wow. I found myself back at the bottom in disbelief and heartbreak for those kids. I cried as the campers shared simple memories and dedicated songs.

My boys were SO exhausted from the weekend that they slept the entire way home. My british speaking GPS girl insisted on taking me home through the back roads... and I didn't argue with her... since it was such a beautiful day.

That two hour trip was the most relaxing time of the past two weeks. The most beautiful countryside was illiminated by the most gorgeous sunset throughout my entire drive. (A perfect day for a motorcycle ride).
During those moments... while the clouds were stretched in amazing swirls, I was reminded of how small I am.

It took a sunset to remind me... that no matter how depressing my circumstances are.. no matter how overwhelmed I let myself become... that God is WAY bigger than that.
The obvious.

"I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"
Mark 9:24

1 comment:

thornpricker said...

I am constantly thinking about you. Is that weird? Maybe not constantly, just a lot. I just want you to be happy and I know you will be. You are the strongest woman I know.