Thursday, October 08, 2009

every day is halloween.

I am sitting on the porch watching a gladiator and a swamp creature play in my yard.
I... once again... have given in and purchased halloween costumes for the boys. I'm not sure why I give in to this temptation year after year... especially since the voice in my head says that I never remember having store bought costumes as a kid. Spending the ridiculous amounts of money on these flimsy little costumes seems so much easier than actually trying to be creative.
So... here we are.

I've decided that the boys will be required to wear these suits DAILY until they are outgrown. That way, I'll feel a little better about the investment.
There is no reason to wait until Halloween to partake in the costumes. Heck... if they didn't have a dress code at school, I'm pretty sure that I would send them to school in their Halloween attire.

Luckily, at Halloween time, their school has a costume day where they are allowed to dress like their "favorite storybook character". In past years, I would try to come up with real storybook characters... but then that would involve having TWO costumes!!
Then I realized that I could manipulate the rules to be easier for me:
We'll be going to the library ASAP to dig up SOME kind of storybook that is about a gladiator and a swamp creature. I'm really hoping that there is a Scooby Doo book out there that will cover the Swamp Creature. And I'm not too sure about the gladiator... but I'll come up with something. :-)

Happy Days!!
I love October!!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

You always did love Halloween! I'm laughing at the memory of you, Jamie, and Cathy as "John, Jennifer and Baby" and Peter as "poor white trash"! :)

Shipley Mommy said...

Thought I might help..

See You Later, Gladiator (Time Warp Trio) by Jon Scieszka

or


Gladiators (Usborne Young Reading) by Minna Lacey, Susanna Davidson, and Emmanuel Cerisier

but this one looks the cutest:

You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To¿) by John Malam, David Salariya, and David Antram

and this one is a whole childrens series and sounds so cute!!:
The Swamp Monster In The Third Grade by Debbie Dadey

or you've gotta love Marc Brown (from Arthur Series):
Swamp Monsters: Level 3 (Easy-to-Read, Puffin) by Mary Blount Christian and Marc Brown **these books are also in a series***

Misplaced Musings said...

I bought Nora one this year. She loves it. And we def. keep old costume parts and pieces for other uses. Who knows, YOU may show up somewhere in that alien mask from last year!!