Thursday, October 22, 2009

the day of funk

I have one day just about every month... when I'm in a funk. Today is the day. I was anxious to get home to my filthy house... so I could ignore my chores and curl up in bed. This day wasn't as productive as last month's funk day. I think I managed to sleep for a few hours last month. But today, the phone rang 6 times within an hour. (and I'm happy for the friends who called... but I'm not sure why the phone company wanted to chat at 3:30 in the afternoon.)

so... I've started reading a new book, Good Grief, written by Lolly Winston. (Thanks to Melissa for passing it along!)
I am only a couple of chapters into the book but I'm already loving it!! It's a fictional book about a young widow. So far, the character is "right on". I can totally relate to the attitude and thoughts of this gal. I'm anxious to see how the book follows her time of grieving.

In the book, a grief counselor explains, "The death of a loved one isn't really something you ever get over, Instead, one morning you wake up and it's not the first thing you think of."
The character in the book can't imagine when that morning will ever come to her house.
But it's encouraging to know that it HAS come to our house.

I generally wake up happy and content. My first thoughts usually include a prayer, Bible reading, thoughts of Jared (who continues to sweep me off of my feet), and thoughts of what needs to be accomplished that day. I can't recall a recent morning in which I immediately thought about Thayer's death or being a widow. It seems like I've settled into my "widow" role and it doesn't sound so far-fetched anymore. I guess you'd call that "acceptance". Thayer would say.. "it is what it is".

BUT... I am still taken by surprise sometimes...
I was at the mall the other day. The song From This Moment, which was sung at our wedding, played in the background. I was caught panicked, short of breath, and instantly teared up. Wow. An intense grief burst that I wouldn't have expected.

Not sure why I went off on such a tangent from my "funk day"... but I'm glad to have gotten some of these thoughts out.

anywho... back to the funk...
I suppose I should call the kids in from the woods and fix some dinner. Tonight, we will feast on "P" foods.... Popcorn, Pineapple and Pringles. I might even throw in some Pink milk as a nutritional bonus.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

You probably don't remember the time in high school when I only ate P things for a long time. Peanut butter, pineapples,popcorn and pickles. I think I called it my p diet.

Lisa Tibbs said...

I just need to ask...are you sure you only have one funk day a month? :)