I think I really enjoy this "summer" thing! I am SO fortunate that I work somewhere that adheres to summer vacations. I find this break to be absolutely refreshing and enjoyable. Well... atleast the past few days.
Call me after a week or so with these kids... and I'll let you know. ;)
I realized that my calendar looks fairly empty this summer. It's a much needed break from the overscheduling that I managed to do during the school year. I am trying hard not to overschedule our free days. I am really looking forward to sleeping late and taking it "one day at a time". I like the days when I can just wake up and say "what shall we do today?"
Other than beach trips and swimming lessons... we should have plenty of free days.
Since I've been out of work, I find that I have more time to think about Thayer too. I have recently been thinking alot about last summer. I can vividly remember our trip to Arizona and Colorado... like it was yesterday. And it's not that I remember all of the things that we did... but I can simply remember Thayer's presence... in the car, standing next to me, sitting by the pool... his hand on my back or shoulder.... I think it's all about him "being" there that I remember.
The boys and I have been having lots of movie nights lately... and I asked them if they remembered having movie nights with their Daddy.
I can picture him getting settled on the couch, with his ugly brown "slippers", several pillows behind his neck, with kids on both sides.
I don't have a clue about what we watched but I remember his presence.
This "presence" thing is a biggie to me. I have a terrible memory of events. But I can place Thayer at just about any spot in our house and yard. I have a vivid memory of his "being". It's hard to explain.
Tomorrow marks 10 months since Thayer's death.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
i enjoyed reading this sweet post. i've been thinking so much about you these last few days. God really laid you guys on my heart last night in a different way. it may have to do w/ father's day. you know we pray for you guys often and will continue to. i will especially pray for the boys leading up to sunday.
i'm thankful that you are enjoying these days w/ the boys. we are too! i LOVE these laid back days.
It comforts me to read your posts. I'm going to tell you, the sense of his "being" will never go away. I do hope that is a comfort. Even though my Dad never MET my boys, I often imagine how he would "be" with them. I think of the things he did with me, and often substitute the boys where I would be. To me, it's bitter sweet.
Post a Comment