Wednesday, October 04, 2006

out of my box

deep thought for today:
Chicken with bones is not as gross as I previously thought.

I have recently cooked chicken that I purchased with bones and skin... still on it. I know that is a foreign concept to many of you, as it was to me.
I first attempted to make bbq chicken legs like T's granny makes. That turned out pretty well, and I've done that twice.
And tonight, I am making a one dish recipe with bone-in chicken and potatoes. So far, so good.

The thing that always grossed me out was the possibility that I'd actually have to touch the chicken!
But when it came to the moment of truth, I told myself to be brave!!
What an accomplishment.
It's actually quite simple to prepare.... someone told me to use a paper towel, grab onto that skin and just yank it off. I know.... yuck... the first few times I got the same feeling you get when someone scratches their finger nails on a chalkboard. But after a few chicken pieces, I've gotten the hang of it.

I'm confident that if we ever had to grow chickens to survive, I could atleast skin one. maybe. Someone else would have to take care of the killing and draining... or whatever people do to chickens.

I can remember stories of my grandmother growing up on the farm. And I think about how pitiful our generation is!!
Think of how lucky we are with our american culture and our fast food mentality. We are So spoiled. I feel pretty selfish even writing about the woes of skinning chicken when people all over the world kill and prepare their own meat. What a wimp I am.

anywho.
just wanted to give a shot out to the chicken with the bones and skin. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, girl!!! You've done something I have yet to try...but maybe I can be brave like you someday. :-) Good point, though. We certainly don't have to give much thought to where our pre-packaged food comes from, do we?