Monday, June 05, 2006

First official family camping

We had an awesome weekend.
Our small group went camping on Saturday night. One of the families is an “owner” at a local resort area so we got to camp in luxury. There is a place for tent camping that felt pretty remote but still close enough to a bathhouse. That was nice.
We rode in on Saturday afternoon and set up our tents. Our friends, that are a family of 6, had an enormous new tent that T helped put up. We laughed about the giganticness of it while his was pitching it but then realized how cool it was… and how big and useful it was for a large family. Meanwhile our little tent was wall-to-wall bed since I had brought along our queen air mattress and a twin. I was determined to be comfortable this go round.
We set up camp (Well, T did most of the work), started a fire, had dinner, ate S’mores, played a game of baseball, etc. The kids loved exploring in the camp area and romping around.
Night fell and it was time for bed. L got extremely terrified of a few bugs that were crawling on the outside of the tent… thanks to D who exclaimed that beetles bite. Ugh.
We were all comfy on our air mattresses until the chill settled. At that point, all four of us snuggled together in a huge mass to stay warm. T took the brunt of the squish, I think.
Morning rolled around and we woke to a breakfast of bacon, eggs and donuts. We sat by the fire for a while and then headed to a playground area. After that, we headed to the pool. Nice things for roughing it, eh?
We left early afternoon and went home. The kids got to nap for about an hour before we yanked them out of bed to attend an evening church service and potluck.
Busy, busy day, but fun. We all slept well last night. And I convinced myself that I was due for that two-hour nap this afternoon too.
I’m ready for work tonight-

2 comments:

Kelli said...

so fun...I love camping! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful...I can't wait for our first camping trip of the season too!