I was at work last night. It was a calm evening. A man was shopping near me and I asked the obvious, “can I help you find something”. He said that he was fine, that he was just “walking all around this place”. That was cool so I kept about my business.
About two minutes later- two other employees walked past me and approached the man- saying “I know you probably don’t like to be bothered but I’m a big fan of yours. I love your work and your movies are great. Do you mind if I have your autograph.” (then they had the nerve to ask me for a pen. I didn’t have one.)
I couldn’t believe how lame these people sounded but at the same time I was completely baffled at who that guy could be! Was I supposed to recognize him as someone famous?!?!?
I asked the next person that was approaching what the fuss was all about. They said that it was Steve Carell. And still, I had no clue. They went on to explain that Steve Carell is the actor in 40 Year Old Virgin, he was also in Anchorman and is currently starring in the sitcom, The Office. He’s also in many other films and tv shows (I felt compelled to google him last night)
Well, of course I’ve seen this guy at some point but I sure couldn’t pick him off of the street like the other leaches that I work with. They were all so thrilled… getting autographs, taking pictures and looking like kids in a candy shop. Go figure.
It Turns out that Steve Carell has the lead role in Evan Almighty (Bruce Almighty 2) which has just starting filming in the Crozet/Charlottesville area.
I had been assisting a gal throughout the evening as she was shopping for bedding, etc. Through our conversations I learned that she was in town for the “filming” and that she was the assistant to the director. It sounded like they all had just moved in to apartments and she was buying a comforter and tons of other household stuff. She picked out a $90 quilt for her “temporary” living arrangements. No wonder it costs so much to make movies… especially if they are furnishing temporary apartments for the people involved. One of my co-workers says that they are renting beds from Primetime (a rent to own place).
Interesting.
My co-workers are hoping that some of the other actors will wander through Target while they are in town. There may be a good chance of that since there’s not really much to do in Charlottesville. The assistant to the director said that it was certainly a change from Los Angeles. Yeah, that’s an understatement.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
first off I'll admit that I watched the first 30 mins of 40 y-o-virgin and then left the room. M said it got much better after the first 30 minutes, the plot was actually good. I'll have to tell him you saw him, cool :)
Post a Comment