I first met Pat over lunch at Charley's, a local restaurant, back in 2016. Greg had brought me to meet his mother. I was the new girl in his life and I was curious how his mother would take to me.
Pat was instantly kind and welcoming. My first impression of her was that she was stylish and poised.
As time progressed and it looked like I'd be sticking around, Pat accepted me as a new daughter-in-law and embraced the thought of having my boys as new grandchildren. I loved that I never doubted where I stood with her. She made me feel part of the family and was always inquisitive and inclusive of my boys.
Being the newest member of the Coleman family, I only had the pleasure of knowing Pat for 8 years. Such a small blip compared to the long running Coleman clan... But I feel like we experienced a lot of life together in that time. As we became familiar with each other, I realized that Pat could cut-up like the rest of us, and she had a good sense of humor.
I always appreciated that she would often have my back when we were teasing Greg or lecturing him about his quirky husband behaviors. She would tell him to treat me right!... but somehow in the same sentence manage to defend her baby boy. Sometimes I think she thought Greg hung the moon. π
I was blessed to share countless meals with Pat over the years. I remember lunches at Cracker Barrel, celebrations with family, and her massive craving for Chick-Fil-A these past few years.
There was a point in time when we were having her over for dinner each week. I had a running dialogue with Greg that no matter what I cooked she would always manage to talk about how she would have served, or prepared, it differently. She never meant any insult.... but I guess that's just typical daughter-in-law insecurity. π
It's true though....she was a great cook!.... and I will never live up to her expertise in the kitchen. That lady could fry up some chicken!.... and her salmon cakes are unmatched.
Pat had such a sweet tooth. The Summer of Covid, 2020- Pat went to the beach with me, Greg and Lucas. We made a special detour to get donuts, just for Pat. She was also craving funnel cake that week, so we searched out a funnel cake stand and Lucas proceeded to run several blocks, in pouring rain, to obtain the funnel cake for Nanny Pat. He insisted that she HAD to have it! I love that memory.
And none of us will forget her chocolate shakes from Chick-Fil-A.
That same summer, we realized that Pat had not been "swimming" in many years. She was determined to give it a try and came to the pool one evening. I remember that we all laughed hysterically when she realized that she couldn't quite stand up in the pool. She was a bit more fragile than we thought, and her legs just kept floating out from under her. I was so tickled. That was quite an experience for her.
When Pat was diagnosed with cancer in 2022, I helped her around the house for a year until she hired a professional cleaner, who she later raved about to me... "She does such a great job really vacuuming underneath things". (haha. Guess I missed that mark, as with the cooking. π)
The best part about me helping her out (to the best of my ability) was that I got to spend some one-on-one time with her. We were able to have talks about family, friends, life and death. I think we kept conversation very real between us and I am so thankful for her outlook on life and her expression of faith.
Pat loved her family. She adored her late husband, Lewis, whom I wish I could have met. I'm pretty sure that he is the one who hung the moon..... although she shared some stories about Lewis that explain a few of Greg's quirks.π
Over the years I observed how Pat maintained unique relationships with each family member. She had a special way of interacting with each of her children, her special nieces, and her grandchildren. Nanny Pat was a precious matriarch to her family. We all loved her support and stability.
Pat will be dearly missed.
Until we meet again. π
![]() |
| The funnel cake! Summer 2020 |
![]() |
| Surprise visit from Lucas August 2021 |
![]() |
| Pat's 81st bday January 2022 |





No comments:
Post a Comment