And.... just like that.... He flew the nest.
It's been a full year and I'm happy to say he's still making it on his own. He and some friends live in a cute little house across the river. He's working lots of hours, back at the pizza place where he started. I haven't had to bail him out financially, or bail him out of jail----yet- so I'm very proud of him for the strides he has made this year.
And it's official! Last week.... he was sworn into the Air Force. He is currently sorting through job opportunities with his recruiter and I can assume he'll be shipping out to basic in a few months.
And... just like that.... the nest will be empty.
It's been a full year and I'm happy to say he's still making it on his own. He and some friends live in a cute little house across the river. He's working lots of hours, back at the pizza place where he started. I haven't had to bail him out financially, or bail him out of jail----yet- so I'm very proud of him for the strides he has made this year.
Last February, which unbeknownst to us, would be Lucas' last full month of school, he came downstairs one evening and announced his decision to join the Air Force. He had put lots of thought into it and we were quite pleased with his reasoning. Since he wasn't sure what he wanted to do with his life.... he knew it would be pointless to incur thousands of dollars of debt to attend college. He weighed his options and knew that joining the service would give him valuable job training and great benefits while getting paid. After his time in the military, he knows that he would be able to pursue college for free. I think it's a win-win, with whatever he decides to do long term. I was impressed that he came up with all of that on his own.... and of course I'm a very proud mama.
The summer passed and Lucas pursued every inch of what the AirForce had to offer stayed up all night playing video games, slept till 2pm every day, and went to work in the evenings. This continued till his 18th birthday. (who am I kidding....he's still asleep as I type this at 1:30pm.)
Anyway....
Anyway....
September rolled around and I reminded him that his 18th birthday was upon us. He was to either contact a recruiter..... or start paying me rent.
Low and behold.... he turned 18, contacted the recruiter and got the ball rolling. He has spent the last two months meeting with the recruiter and gaining weight. He took the ASVAB (entry test) several weeks ago and scored a 95%..... which I hear is outstanding. (proud mom again).
![]() |
| November 10, 2020 |
Lucas has been very vague when we ask him for details.
I can only assume that one Saturday he will clean his room for the last first time and announce that he'll be leaving on Monday.
And... just like that.... the nest will be empty.


No comments:
Post a Comment