Friday, November 13, 2020

hospitality


I just finished reading The Gospel Comes with a House Key: Practicing Radically Ordinary Hospitality in Our Post-Christian World, by Rosaria Butterfield.
There is no way I can paraphrase the main point of the book but let's say that it took me down a path of reminiscing days gone by.

I can recall my previous life circumstances, my previous homes, and the exorbitant amount of hospitality given and received over many years.   I have felt so much love in the homes of others and I have enjoyed filling my home with people as well.
At my last residence, I thrived when the house was full of laughter and energy.   Some of my favorite memories were fixing lunches for the neighborhood kids, kid sleepovers, movie nights, game nights, a snow day sleepover, nights by the campfire, kids running up and down the stairs, inviting my neighbors and friends to just come and hang out.
I spent many hours on porches and at kitchen tables talking, dreaming.      My Sunday Night Ladies group was birthed around my table and those ladies have been my lifeline.

I have always loved having overnight house guests as well.  Friends coming to visit, people needing a place to stay in town, or family coming for holidays.  I used to blow up air mattresses or put people on couches as needed.   Many people have endured the sub-zero temps in my old basement (with only a handful of complaints).     I may not have had the fanciest of houses... but I always wanted to extend an open door policy.

Mi casa, su casa.
I always give the disclaimer that I'm not the best host.... because I might forget the basic needs of guests.... but I always want people to  make themselves at home and feel welcome. 

Upon finishing the book..... I wondered what has happened to our society?!   The year 2020 has attempted to evaporate the simpliest definition of hospitatily.    We are shamed for gathering people together.   The art of hospitality is frowned upon.   Families are told not to gather for holidays.   We might kill our Grandparents if we have a meal together.   The guilt that has been attached to persuing our basic human needs is astounding to me.  

 God calls us to be hospitable.     The Bible describes hospitality as the inviting in of strangers, the inclusion of outcasts.     I'm certainly not the best at that.... but I want to start somewhere.   How can it be possible to make connections with the "outcasts' if we aren't even allowed to make connections with the people we know and love?     What does our new "normal" look like?!    I'm not willing to accept it.

I'm only months away from having an empty nest and I've been pondering what I can do once the house is quiet.    How can I be hospitible to those in need?  What does God want us to do with the extra space and time?  What's my next mission?

I recently created a lovely little guest room in Daniel's old space.  It's my first official guest room and I'm pretty giddy about it.
 I'm ready!  Who's coming to visit?!

No comments: