Thursday, August 21, 2014

the tree

A few days ago, 75 days before Halloween, Lucas decided that it was time to decorate.

I'm not quite sure how it happened.   I may have mentioned something about it in the car.   He was looking for something to do and I may have said something about the Halloween tree.

Perhaps he was inspired by last year's early phone call from Sabrina who prompted him to do the same thing.

I dunno.
But for whatever reason he set up the black tree and decorated it.   He disappeared into the basement, returning every few minutes with more Halloween decor.   He distributed pumpkins around the house and hung Halloween wreaths on the doors.

75 days before Halloween.

Lucas is awesome.    I love his creativity.
And our house feels festive.

When you approach our house at night the lights from the tree are ablaze like Christmas.

I like to keep our neighbors guessing.

With the great anticipation of the ever slowly approaching holiday the cats have joined in on the fun.  I have watched them as they have attempted to claim the tree as their own.    The two of them have nuzzled the branches, stretched up the trunk, and circled up underneath.  
So it was no surprise to me when the tree tumbled to the floor.   And by the time I entered the room.... it was void of cats.
Sneaky bastards.

The tree fail happened tonight at 10:30pm as Daniel and I were scrambling to get ready for bed.
Daniel and I attempted to place the tree upright again, but after struggling for several minutes we realized that the stand was broken!  We bickered back and forth until I decided to retrieve our Christmas tree stand and resolve the problem.
As I type, the tree is back in action.   And I hope that it can survive another 71 days.

Let the countdown to Halloween begin.....

No comments: