Friday night, June 29th:
We were attending Daniel’s first junior high- church-pool
party at a local pool. Things were going
well. Dinner included pizza galore,
salads, sides and desserts. Kids were
playing in the pool. There was a grand
game of polo going on.
Temperatures
were record high for our city. It was a
great night for a swim. I was one of the few adults who were dumb enough to
leave their swimsuits at home. It was hot,
hot, hot. As the sun was starting to
set, things cooled off just a bit and I was enjoying some conversation with my
sister and a few others by the pool side.
9:30-ish-pm:
My friend’s phone rang. It was
her husband who warned her of approaching hurricane type winds.
As soon as she was able to form the words,
“Get out of the pool!!”….. the lifeguards had apparently gotten the same
message and there was shouting and scurrying that was IMMEDIATELY joined by
‘hurricane type winds’ that descended on
us without any other warning.
It was
instant.
It was SCARY!
As people were exiting the pool the wall of wind
crashed onto us and there was utter chaos.
The potluck dinner blasted off of the pavilion area …. Plates, utensils
and chairs filled the air.
I was
scanning the crowd of people looking for my boys.
Daniel appeared by my side and I grabbed hold
of his arm and screamed, “Where is Lucas?!”
I didn’t see Lucas anywhere. (I
had last seen him on the opposite side of the pool!)
In a split second decision, I scuffled
through the moving chairs to grab my pool bag that contained my car keys and
cell phone. In the process, I lost hold of Daniel and I
turned to look for both boys.
I kept
yelling, “Where are my boys!? Daniel was just here!! I haven’t seen Lucas at all!”
A lifeguard was screaming for people to go
into the bathrooms, which were located in little concrete buildings on the other
side of the pool.
We were being pelted
in the face by flying dirt and dust.
I was panicked about not knowing where my
babies were. I’m pretty sure that I
kept yelling, “Where are my babies?! I
need to be with my babies!”
(so much for remaining calm in a crisis situation...) :/
I was with
my sister and somehow the lifeguard was leading us across the concrete. We were moving through the tossed chairs when
the POWER WENT OUT! We screamed at the
instant darkness… but the lifeguard assured us that she could see (I think she
was using a light on a cell phone) and she continued to pull us toward the
safety of the concrete bathrooms. All
the while, I was freaked out about not knowing where my kids were. My sister and I were some of the last few party
go-ers who were corralled into the bathrooms and the lifeguard assured us that
everyone was safely inside. There were
two bathrooms and one storage room.
My
boys were NOT with me.
The lifeguards
passed back info that my boys were accounted for. Logically I knew that they were most likely
safe… but the situation of chaos made me doubtful. After several minutes, one of the men said
that if we wanted to leave, we would need to leave before the heavy rains
started.
Daniel met me at the doorway of the bathroom
and I was still frantic about finding Lucas.
I stood by the other door and yelled for Lucas. The group of people eventually parted and
Lucas appeared. As soon as he saw me, he
broke down. He was hysterical and very
scared. We darted through the dark and
found our car as the rain started to pour down. I kept assuring the boys that we would be home
soon. Lucas was crying and Daniel was
filling the role of the ‘calm’ one. Lucas admitted that he was very scared about
being separated from us, and he was afraid that he had lost me.
Yeah, I could relate. I have never been so
scared for my children.
Losing them in
the storm and chaos totally unhinged me.
It was such a feeling of
helplessness.
I couldn’t get home fast enough. I wanted to hug my babies and assure them
that things were okay. The rain and wind
were crazy. I zigzagged around several
fallen branches on my street and under the sagging power line that crossed the
street in front of my neighbor’s house. We found our way inside and gathered
flashlights and candles. We were
safe and we were together. I was so
thankful.
I am still so thankful for our safety that night. I know that the situation could have been much worse. My other sister reminded me of the parents who have been separated from their children in tsunamis and other natural disasters. Terrifying!
I am saddened to hear of the lives that were cut short as a result of Friday's storm.
Indeed, it could have been much worse.
The power was restored to our house, today (tuesday), after being in the dark for the past 3.5 days. During the power outage we were blessed with cool places to stay in the day (special thanks to my sister and bro-in-law), and we've slept in our basement at night. I'm thankful for my car and for running water.
Most importantly, I am thankful for safety.
amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment