Sunday, May 16, 2010

empty schedule

This morning I woke up feeling like I wanted to wear a dress. That in itself is very odd. I was pleasantly surprised that the dress I wore to Thayer's service still fit...even though it appears that I am 17 pounds heavier than when I wore it last.
Turns out that the 17 pounds must have accumulated in my breasts... because by the time church was over... I was uncomfortable with the fit of the top and I was ready to run home for a t-shirt.

wow. that was random.
back to this morning...
I wondered why I had wanted to wear a dress. I was perplexed at my odd mood... and then I thought "what day is today?! It can't possibly be the 16th. That would be weird."
By golly, it IS the 16th. Twenty-one months since Thayer's death. Can that actually be? Are we working towards two years? so quickly?

I then noticed the calendar days for the week to come. Pretty much NOTHING going on this week. I got an eerie feeling as I remembered the calendar week following Thayer's death. That week, too, had been pretty empty of activity...as if God kept it clear knowing we would be rather busy with the business of death.
I briefly thought to myself that I hoped God wasn't keeping next week open for similar reasons.

Today the kids took off to play with a neighbor. I did a little bit of planting in the yard, and did some thinking about entering a writing contest, but then I was unsure of what to do. I rarely have time to just do nothing. It was odd.
I decided to take a chunk of time and finish reading I Will Carry You by Angie Smith. Angie is the author of a well known blog and I was super excited to see that she has published a book of her journey. She's got some great things to say about "the sacred dance of grief and joy".

My Dad came over for a quick visit. He casually mentioned that my Mom and my niece had been in a minor car accident this afternoon.
Woah.
Thankfully no one was hurt. But after he left, I thought... that could have been way worse! That could have been the event that delegated the empty schedule for next week.
We can never see it coming.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:34

2 comments:

Sarah said...

it wasn't anna was it? are they okay?

thornpricker said...

It is hard to stop and live in the moment. I think that is ultimatley my problem, I am always thinking way too far ahead. It is nice to have plans, hopes, aspirations, but I need to learn to appreciate what is here before me now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.