Saturday, January 28, 2006

A "Grown-Up" dress

I got a chance to go shopping by myself today. T is helping a friend lay some tile today and their family offered to watch my kids for a while. Nice.
I headed to the mall in search of a dress or outfit that would be suitable for a funeral and that could also be worn on other occasions.
I walked to the “dress” area and was confronted with a lot of old lady clothes. Have I really hit that stage in life?!?
The church that we attend has a casual atmosphere and I don’t even own a dress at this time. It was a tough thing for me to try on dressy things. I kind of felt like the folks on that television show “What Not To Wear”. I longed to have some fashion people there to help with the “rules”!
I finally settled on an outfit that consisted of a black skirt with some embroidery on it and a black “suit top” (it that’s what you call it) with some embroidery on the sleeves. I think it would pass as okay but I’ll have to get T’s opinion on it… just for the sake of being accepted in public.
I still have my doubts. I have never owned something with a “suit”-like top. Perhaps it’s time for me to be a grown up… or not. I’ll let you know what the hubby decides.
D said that I looked weird with “the buttons on my shirt”. And L smiled and said that I looked “good”.If the dress passes inspection, I suppose that everyone will see me wear it eventually on some occasion. Or on several occasions… since it's my one and only grown-up outfit.
(I think I need to shop and get out more!)

2 comments:

Kelli said...

too funny... I hate having to wear something nice...I'd rather go for dressy casual if dressy at all :)

Anonymous said...

It is not just your observation that everything is an "old lady" outfit. It is almost impossible to find a nice dress, it seems like suits are more the thing. I hate that! You either are stuck with a suit, or with a prom dress, there doesn't seem to be anything nice in between. Therefore, I will be wearing the same Easter dress for the next 15 years.