Saturday, February 19, 2022

growth

 


The daffodils have started to emerge from their slumber.  I think it's too early.  The cut of the winter wind doesn't seem to be the correct time for new growth.   However I'm not in charge of that- and I trust that God's timing for the garden is more than sufficient. 

Seeing the new greenery emerge reminds me that I still need to cut back some of the plant foliage that didn't whither until after the first snow.  Interesting how the fall clean-up becomes the winter clean-up and it will slowly merge into a spring clean-up, in preparation for the summer growth, followed by a summer season of tidying the spent flowers. 
And so it goes.

In years past, I grumbled about having to tend to the plants.   And now I'm seeing the grand benefit of tending to a garden, even if that garden is a small flowerbed.   

I've lately been drawn to books and documentaries about the benefits of gardens.*   The benefits that being in nature has on one's physical, emotional, mental and spiritual well being is of no surprise to any of us.   It's a given that being in, and being active in God's creation is GOOD for us.   Yet our society spends almost 90% of our time indoors.  (A quick google search points out articles about what happens to our bodies by spending so much time indoors)

This past week, I missed my morning walks, for whatever reasons.  And I FELT it!  My mood was off, my body felt different.  That has a lot to do with my body missing the movement, but I also think it has a LOT to do with not being outdoors.   I know my soul missed drinking in the fresh air and attending to the sounds of creation. 
I've walked for the past two days.... And I'm already feeling more like myself.   
I am 1000% convinced that being outdoors, and participating in nature is essential for our well being.  

This afternoon I sit behind this glass and witness the trees hold their ground against, what Pooh would call, a "rather blustery day".   
Those little daffodils are standing firm, soaking in the sun, unfazed by the windy chaos above. 
They are flourishing.
I'd like to think I'm on the same journey.



*The God of the Garden by Andrew Peterson
*The Well Gardened Mind by Sue Stuart-Smith
*watch The Gardener on Amazon Prime

No comments: