August 16th marked 10 years without Thayer. The date came and went.
Our family gathered for a birthday swim and dinner, on what would have been Thayer's 48th birthday, on August 19th.
(I joked that even death can't stop a son-in-law from having a Gowell birthday party.) :)
The death anniversary and birthday week went by unnoticed by most people. However I think my body always subconsciously knows.... and I was kind of a wreck under my skin for about a week.
10 years. That's a decade. I didn't piece that together until my friend Jennifer noted that her fiance had also been gone for a decade. I keep saying that I knew Thayer a lifetime ago. It sure feels that way.
This week we were notified of the unexpected death of Scott Baker, our former worship leader and Thayer's friend from years ago.
Considering I didn't know Scott very well on a personal basis, I was actually surprised that the news of his death has rattled me. Since the news I have spiraled back in time..... and it does feel like a lifetime ago. I find myself grieving for Scott's people, re-grieving Thayer's death, and ultimately grieving the past that was literally decades ago.
Thayer was involved with Grace Church when I came upon the scene in 1997. Scott was the worship leader during that time. I recall how Scott's original music and the worship team's style and presentation were instrumental in our early relationship and early years of our marriage. The songs were rich and impactful, and were an integral part of our spiritual growth as a couple. I can recall having those songs in my head every week.... all week... after a Sunday service. It's hard to capture in words what a sweet period of time that was at Grace Church. But those who were there can certainly reminisce.
I hear Scott was at Thayer's funeral in 2008. And I do vaguely remember him there amidst my fog.
And here we are 10 years later and I'm following posts online about Scott's funeral. Those precious people from Grace are saying goodbye to yet another one gone too soon.
I cried on my way to work yesterday as I envisioned how Thayer would react to happening upon Scott in heaven. I know he will be ecstatic. What a reunion.
If Scott needs a sound guy in heaven.... I know a good one. :)
Thursday, August 30, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment