It's 10:55am on the first day of 2016 and I'm just rolling out of bed. Not that I attended a rad party last night. I stayed up late reading old blog posts and being irritated at my kids. Those things are apparently exhausting.
At 11:40pm last night I decided to read through my blog posts from 2015. There weren't very many posts and I was finishing up as I rang in the new year, alone in my kitchen.
I had waited all day for the boys and I to go through our "memory jar" that I had been working on all year. I had been recording events all year in hopes to read through them on New Year's Eve with my boys. Little did I realize that this was not a priority for them. At. all.
What I realized by reading through my blog is that 2015 was, thankfully, uneventful... in a good way.
It was going to be my year to dive into minimalism and to shed my extra weight.
I only partially accomplished those things. But I guess some progress is better than none.
As the year officially closed, I had rid my house of at least 775 things and I had dropped 20 pounds.
The final weight loss was disappointing overall because of ups and downs in weight and motivation.
Also, looking back, I realized that a recurring topic was the illness of Mr. Q. I had no idea that his illness consumed much of my time and thoughts during 2015. It was just life at the time.
We said goodbye to Mr. Q, and Granny, this past fall.
It was their time. There were many tears shed, but also a relief on some levels.
Last year at this time, I was waiting for my kitchen to be completed.... and as of today, my bathrooms are also new! That's a pretty productive year on the house front. I think I'm able to say that I'm "done" with fixing-up at this point. And that is a relief as well.
I had claimed 2014 as my year. And I had claimed 2015 my year too. And honestly.... they were okay. They were filled with all the good stuff: health, family, friends.
But being realistic... I'm not gonna claim 2016. We'll just see what plays out.
I hope it's a good one.
Friday, January 01, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
As usual, I love your realism and your honesty!
Post a Comment