Wednesday, November 02, 2022

pumpkin party

I hosted our 22nd annual Pumpkin Party this past Sunday.   Every year I say that it's my last year, that "I'm never doing this again".... but I keep doing it because Lucas says that it's a Botham tradition that needs to keep happening.  I suppose I'll keep doing it until he, or Daniel, decides to take it over.

The Pumpkin Party has taken many shapes over the years.  It started as a small Halloween gathering of friends, in costumes, when Thayer and I were newly married.

1999
We missed the next year because we were adjusting to being new parents to our little pumpkin, Daniel.
We resumed the festivities in 2001 with a pumpkin carving party.  

2001
At some point, I dropped the "carving" part of the party, and asked people to bring their pumpkins pre-carved and ready to be entered in the contest.  Prizes awarded for Most creative, Funniest, Most Boo-tiful, and Scariest.
The guest list has varied over the years.   We've had family, friends, lifegroups, neighbors, or various friend groups included.   
My goal was to take a group picture every year.... but I only managed to pull that off a few times:
2003

2005

2006

2013

As I have gotten older, and know my limitations, I have simplified the guest list to include my family (my parents and sister's families) and a few close friends. 

This year was a special year to celebrate because Lucas is home on leave, and was able to participate.  He'll be flying out to England next week and will be gone indefinitely.  
 (whew...my momma heart doesn't want to think about how many pumpkin parties he may miss)

We were blessed with great weather on Sunday so we were able to do a FULL experience of pumpkin chili, yummy sides and desserts, s'mores, and time outside by the campfire.    
I think this was one of my favorites.
And this might be the first year, ever, that I will say, "can't wait till next year!"
Year 22 was a good one:
super proud of my creation this year

Lucas threw this fun one together 30 min. before the party... and won "Funniest"

camp fires are my favorite

Also super excited about my luminaries this year!

Perfect night!





2 comments:

Kelly said...

It was a perfect night! I love that I am included in the close friends department and have been able to attend for many years now. Hope the tradition continues! ❤️

Cathy Key said...

I almost thought this was the year you actually didn’t do it because I had not heard or seen anything about it. I’m glad the tradition is still going strong!