Yesterday, I headed out for a walk. I was armed with the iPod... which I soon discovered was dead. Probably having something to do with the fact that I left the power on all night. hmmm.
So I was left with my thoughts for the journey.
Some of you can picture the neighborhood where I walk.
(It's not my neighborhood.)
It's the kind of neighborhood that was designed for "community". The houses are fancy and close together. Each with their own quarter size yard and pretty landscaping. Each house is equipped with a spacious porch, adorned with plush patio furniture. The kind of porch that screams... "sit on me! have a cold one and chat with your friends!"
It's the kind of neighborhood that is supposed to encourage the "community" of long ago.
What a joke.
Many times I pass through... not a soul in sight. Deserted empty driveways. Sealed doors and closed blinds.
My thoughts start to climb onto my soapbox about our selfish society. I get disheartened about young couples who get themselves dependent on two salaries... those who have made the decision to work their butts off and have the absolute best of everything... the new cars, the big house.
A great house...but they are rarely at home. A tidy yard that their children rarely play in.
I could go on and on....
anywho. on this particular day... I was rather high and mighty on my box, while walking on the silent street.
In the distance I heard a low hum of a lawn mower. I wondered if people in designer neighborhoods actually did their own yard work. Then, as I rounded the corner, I saw him.
It was a young Dad (good looking and shirtless) with a baby... in a baby-backpack... pushing a lawn mower. At that moment, all of my gripes faded and I felt as if everything were right in the world again.
I'm not sure where the rest of his communtiy was...
but seeing that lone guy and his kid made everything okay for me.
It was refreshing that someone had priority to be at home, with their kid, in their yard, in the designer neighborhood.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I longed for a "neighborhood" until one of my best friends in her lovely neigborhood shared her stories of her not so "lovely" neighbor. Now I am content in the boonies where my "neighbor" brings me homeade icecream for no reason or the mailman is plowing the field in front of our house so he can plant soybeans. Come live out here with us. I am content with my not so manicured lamwn and no sidewalk.
Post a Comment